Do you love soy milk but feel like those in supermarkets are overpriced? Then you came to the right place! Today, we will be teaching you all about soy milk and how to make it in the comfort of your home without blowing a hole in your pocket.
What Exactly Is Soy Milk?
Soy milk is simply blended soybeans mixed with water. This creates a milk – like beverage that is extremely tasty, creamy, and velvety.
Why Should I Make My Own Soy Milk?
Most soy milk available for purchase in stores are full of harmful additives such as sugar, preservatives, and thickeners. When consumed in large amounts these substances may harm your body.
The good thing about homemade soy milk is that you know and can control your soy milk’s composition. You can simply avoid adding those additives to create a healthy soy milk. Furthermore, you can add other things to your milk such as vegan collagen powder to make an even healthier soy milk.
Other than health reasons, another reason why you should make your own soy milk is the price tag. You can buy all the needed ingredients to make soy milk for much cheaper than buying soy milk in stores.
Benefits Of Soy Milk
Soy milk is a very healthy alternative to dairy milk and comes with a number of benefits:
- Soy milk is low in cholesterol and saturated fats, which means it is perfect for those looking to lose weight, manage weight, or improve heart health.
- Unlike dairy milk, soy milk is lactose – free, so those with lactose intolerance can enjoy it.
- It has a multitude of vitamins and minerals including Potassium, Vitamin A, and Vitamin B12
- Soy milk possesses the antioxidant isoflavones, which are chemical compounds that help prevent cell damage. This substance can reduce your risk of developing several serious ailments such as cancer and stroke.
- It contains a balanced amount of carbohydrates, protein, and fats.
Things You Will Need To Make Soy Milk
Soy milk is a pretty simple thing to make. Here are the ingredients you will need to prepare:
- 8 cups of clean, filtered water
- 1 cup soybeans
Steps To Make Soy Milk
Want to make delicious homemade soy milk? Simply follow these simple steps:
- Soak your soybeans for around 6 to 8 hours. This will cause them to expand in size by 2 to 3 times.
- Once the beans are soaked, you have the option to peel them to allow for a smoother final product. This step only takes a few minutes (the skin comes off easily after soaking), but it is optional.
- Place your beans into a high speed blender for approximately 10 to 15 seconds to allow them to break down a bit.
- Add the water and continue blending until a creamy and silky mixture forms.
- Strain the mixture into a large pot or saucepan.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat. Make sure to stir often to prevent any large bean chunks from getting burnt.
- After it starts to boil, keep on cooking for around 3 minutes. During this period, foam will start to rise to the surface of the mixture. Try to skim and remove as much of this foam as possible.
- Reduce your heat to low and start simmering for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent your mixture from sticking to the pan.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
- Through a nut milk bag, pour your mixture into a large bowl.
- Make sure to squeeze the nut milk bag in order to force all the liquid through.
- The soy milk is now ready to serve or be used.
Tips: you can keep your soy milk in the fridge for 3 to 5 days. You can also place it in the freezer and have it last for up to 6 months. If it starts to taste or smell sour, then it is no longer safe for consumption.