If you have spent any time on social media over the past 2 years, you will surely have heard of the term ‘whipped coffee’. You can find whipped or dalgona coffee in almost any coffee shop out there. This delectable drink may seem fancy and complex, but it is rather easy to make yourself.
Do you want to know more about this trendy beverage? Well then, just keep on reading!
What Is Whipped Coffee?
Whipped coffee has many names all around the world. It is called Dalgona coffee in South Korea, Beaten Coffee in India, and Frappe Coffee in Greece. However, they are all basically the same thing. This drink is extremely popular in South Korea and has been all the rage there for years on social media.
Simply put, whipped coffee is made up of a mixture of coffee, water, and sugar that will be placed on top of your milk of choice. It is both delicious and easy to make, which is why it is the go – to drink people serve nowadays for guests.
Things You Will Need To Make Whipped Coffee
There are a number of ingredients and equipment that you will need to prepare before making your whipped coffee:
- Hand mixer or whisk
- Mixing bowl
- 1 tbsp of water
- 1 tbsp of sugar (granulated)
- 1 tbsp of instant coffee
- 475 ml of fresh whole milk
The Best Whipped Coffee Recipe
- Add your water, sugar, and coffee into a mixing bowl
- Use a whisk or hand mixer to mix the three ingredients together
- Continue whisking until you form a thick light brown paste that is similar to peanut butter in colour
- Pour your milk of choice into a glass
- Add the paste on top of your milk using a spoon
- Give it a light stir and enjoy!
Tips For Making The Perfect Whipped Coffee
Here are some effective tips for making a perfect and delicious whipped coffee:
- For faster and more efficient mixing, use an electric mixer rather than manually doing it with a whisk. Using a milk frother or stand mixer will generate a much better paste consistency and will only take around 5 minutes.
- We suggest you use hot water for faster mixing of the ingredients. However, cold or room temperature works fine too.
- Use your straw or a spoon to mix the whipped coffee before enjoying it. Sure, pictures of whipped coffee usually have the paste sitting on top. Even though this looks aesthetically pleasing, mixing the whipped coffee and milk will create a much more dynamic flavour.
- Never mix in a jar or mug. The fluffiness of whipped coffee comes from air entering the mixture during the whisking process. Thus, mixing in a mug or jar will result in a poorer consistency since there is not enough surface area for the air to enter.
Can you substitute the milk?
Absolutely! The base of the drink is very flexible, so you don’t have to use fresh whole milk. You can switch to other types of milk or even change it completely and instead use water, tea, espresso, or americano.
Which type of sugar is the best for this recipe?
Any type of granulated sugar will work just fine for this recipe. White sugar, brown sugar, cane sugar, and coconut sugar are all suitable.
Can I use ground coffee?
Nope! This recipe only works with instant coffee. Ground coffee needs to be properly brewed and filtered before you can properly consume it, so it is a no – go for this recipe.
Can I remove or reduce the sugar?
Of course! You can do trial and error to find out how much sugar suits your palate. However, less sugar will usually mean a less fluffy whipped coffee.