Billions of people throughout the globe love to both sip on a cup of joe as well as munch on some ice cream. Both of them are almost universally loved due to their deliciousness and the satisfying feeling you get when eating / drinking them.
Well now, what if we tell you that you can combine both of these delicacies?
Here is our silk-like and delicious coffee ice cream recipe:
What Is Coffee Ice Cream?
Wait! Before we tell you our recipe, you need to know what coffee ice cream is.
Basically, it is similar to regular ice cream in that it is made of cream, sugar, and milk. The only difference is that we will infuse coffee grounds into the mix. You can use any type of coffee ground including instant coffee, espresso, or just plain old homemade coffee ground.
Afterward, you can add any additives of your liking such as cherry, syrup, or chocolate chips.
Ingredients And Equipment Required
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of sweetened condensed milk
- 5 tbsp of ground coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of kosher salt
- Medium-sized saucepan
- Mesh strainer
- Medium-sized bowl
- Ice cream machine
Steps For Creating The Perfect Coffee Ice Cream
- Start by pouring the whole milk, condensed milk, coffee, sugar, cream, and egg yolks into a medium-sized saucepan.
- Whisk it over medium heat until it forms a thick custard. Reduce heat as necessary to prevent scorching.
- Remove your saucepan from the heat and insert the salt and vanilla.
- Pour the custard through the mesh strainer and into the bowl to remove any impurities and lumps.
- Put the bowl in the fridge and let it chill for about 1 hour.
- Take out the bowl and pour the ice cream mixture into your ice cream machine, before then churning by following the machine instructions.
- After the ice cream texture is soft and consistent, place it into an airtight container and let it freeze in the freezer for a minimum of 4 hours.
- When serving, take out the ice cream and put it into a bowl. Add your topping of choice.
Tips To Make Your Coffee Ice Cream Even More Mouthwatering
There is no single right way to make ice cream. In fact, there are several polarising opinions on how to make the perfect coffee ice cream. You just need to figure out what suits your palate through trial and error.
However, there are a few widely-accepted tips that you should follow to make a perfect coffee ice cream:
- Espresso powder and freshly ground coffee are always better than instant coffee. This is because instant coffee won’t give as dynamic a flavour as fresh coffee grounds.
- Always use medium roasts when choosing coffee beans. Ice cream contains sugar and cream, so using lighter roasts may result in a lack of coffee flavour in the final product. Conversely, a strong roast may bring a hint of bitterness and sourness into your ice cream.
- Using an ice cream maker is always recommended as it creates a smooth and even texture. However, if you don’t have one you can always do the traditional method. This involves hand whisking the mixture while it freezes.
- When using the traditional technique, always make sure to use a plastic wrap and cover the ice cream surface between stirs. This ensures no ice crystals will form.